Chicago Construction Accident Attorneys
Today, the construction industry is one of the most dangerous occupational fields for workers. Despite state and federal safety laws and regulations through the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), construction accidents cause injuries, illnesses, and fatalities every day. If you have suffered an illness or injury as a result of an accident on a construction site, our Chicago construction accident attorneys are here to protect you and your right to recover damages and maximize any financial compensation available to you.
Construction accidents are complex and require a thorough investigation by a legal advocate that puts your interests first. While workers’ compensation benefits may provide you with disability income, lost wages, and payment of medical expenses following a construction accident, you may be entitled to more. Depending upon the details and circumstances surrounding your construction accident, a construction accident lawyer can identify additional avenues of recovery from third parties.
When faced with a construction injury, do not wait to seek legal advice from a lawyer with specific expertise and a record of success in construction accident litigation. At Vinkler Law, our construction accident lawyers have extensive experience in all aspects of construction claims and litigation, helping construction workers and their family members receive maximum compensation for their injuries.
Schedule a Free Case Evaluation
Types of Construction Accident Claims and Lawsuits
Generally, there are four types of construction accident claims or lawsuits that may arise when a construction worker suffers an injury or fatality on the job. Whether or not one or more apply to you will depend on the facts and circumstances surrounding the construction accident and your injuries.
- Worker’s Compensation: If a construction employee is injured on the job, a claim is filed with the employer’s workers’ compensation insurance carrier.
- Product Liability: Sometimes, construction injuries are the result of faulty industrial equipment or a defective product failing to function correctly. When that is the case, a product liability lawsuit may be appropriate.
- Personal Injury: If the negligence of a third party is responsible for a construction accident that causes an injury or death, a personal injury lawsuit is possible.
- Wrongful Death: When a construction worker suffers a fatal injury on the job, a wrongful death lawsuit may be filed by the surviving family members.
Although your employer may indicate, its workers’ compensation coverage will “will take care of everything,” it is crucial to seek legal advice. From faulty equipment to the negligence of an employer, construction accidents can involve different types of legal remedies. A consultation with a knowledgeable construction accident lawyer will provide an opportunity to discuss your particular situation and get the guidance you need regarding all potential claims and legal options that may be available to you.
Common Causes of Construction Injuries and Fatalities
There is a wide range of causes of injuries and fatalities resulting from construction accidents on job sites of all sizes. According to OSHA, each year, one in five worker deaths occurs in construction. Some of the more common causes of construction accidents in Illinois involve:
- Falls from roofs, ladders, cranes, and other elevated surfaces
- The collapse of structures, scaffolding, or stairway
- Burns from open flames or fire, hot liquids, hot surfaces
- Being struck or crushed-between two objects
- Chemical spills
- Toxic chemical exposure to carbon monoxide, ammonia, chlorine, and many more
- Vehicle and truck accidents including backovers
- Equipment accidents from overturns, crushed-between, and backovers
- Electric shock or electrocution from contact with power lines and exposed wires
- Fire or gas line explosions
- Trench collapses trapping or burying workers
- Lead poisoning
- Heatstroke and overexertion especially in the heat of summer
- Respiratory diseases from exposure to dangerous airborne particles like silica, asbestos, coal dust, and more
When it comes to construction accident deaths, most fatalities result from the “Fatal Four” causes: falls from heights, being struck by an object, electrocution, and being caught or crushed between two objects.
Chicago Construction Accident Attorneys Fight for You
Advocating for the rights of construction workers injured or killed on the job is at the heart of what we do. Whether working on Chicago’s latest high-rise venture or new construction or renovations project in the suburbs, our construction accident attorneys are here to guide you with sound legal advice and aggressive representation to ensure your rights are protected.
Expert Knowledge and Results in Construction Accident Cases
At Vinkler Law, our skilled legal team has more than 30 years of experience handling construction accident cases of all kinds and stands ready to put that expertise to work for you. If you are injured, or your family member has died as a result of a construction accident, our Chicago construction accident attorneys can help. We represent clients throughout the state of Illinois, with offices in Chicago and Burr Ridge.
To learn more about legal options available to you, contact us today for a free consultation.